Safe Ride News
Keeping you informed
Continuing to learn and stay up to date is a necessity for all of us involved in child passenger safety. Published bimonthly, Safe Ride News is the most comprehensive independent source of CPS information for health and safety professionals and advocates. It provides you with the latest information about safety for children in personal vehicles, school buses, and aircraft, including what YOU need to know about:
• New child restraint models you’ll see at checkup events.
• Vehicle safety and technology changes.
• What changes in government standards mean for
caregivers—and for you.
• Research, program ideas, and new resources to improve your programs.
How current are your handouts?
Safe Ride News Fact Sheets are perfect for community outreach events, including check-ups, classes, and doctor’s office visits. Each sheet focuses on a specific topic and most are available in Spanish, too. All sheets are reviewed and updated annually to reflect current best practices.Two formats are available to meet your needs:
1) Pads of 100 sheets on one topic
2) PDFs on CD for you to use to print your own.
2017 LATCH Manual
Essential guide to CR installation
The 10th edition of the LATCH Manual provides important guidance for proper use of the LATCH system. It is an essential resource for CPS technicians working with caregivers, and it supports NHTSA’s promotion of LATCH and long-term goals for CR use.
This edition includes major changes, including updates to manufacturer instructions for use of lower anchors and tethers of some CR products and vehicles.
• Input from all major vehicle and CR manufacturers, including brand- and model-specific information. This edition has more helpful details than ever before—some available from no other source.
• Updated vehicle listings, including the addition of recent model year vehicles, as well as clarified and expanded usage notes.
• The most up-to-date lower and tether anchor weight limits stated by vehicle manufacturers, and guidance for the use of LATCH from all CR manufacturers.
• An updated chapter on retrofitting older vehicles with tether anchors that includes a supplement for vehicle manufacturer part numbers, availability, and other installation and use details.
The School Bus Safety Handbook
Choosing and Using Child Safety Restraint
Systems and Wheelchairs
This user-friendly handbook serves as an all-in-one background, reference, and resource guide for school district personnel, child passenger safety technicians, medical therapists, and special needs transportation specialists.
Prepared in consultation with many of the nation’s leading school bus experts, the second edition is thoroughly updated and revised. It includes considerations for selecting safety restraints for use in different types of school buses, installation details, and current product information. It also includes an extensive section detailing the safe transport of wheelchair occupants on school buses.
The School Bus Challenge
School Bus–CPS Awareness Presentation CD
This CD is a PowerPoint® presentation on CPS information for meeting the challenges of using child safety restraint systems on school buses.The material is for CPST/CPST-I audiences.Topics covered:
▪Selection, installation, and use of child safety restraint systems in buses.
▪Safety restraints for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and children with special needs.
▪Differences between school buses of various sizes and family vehicles.
▪Value of CPST involvement in school and preschool transportation.
Hooked on LATCH
CPST Update Presentations
Looking for a LATCH presentation for a conference or CPST update meeting? These two LATCH PowerPoints® improve the understanding of LATCH, including the latest regulatory changes, and provide CEUs.
Two Topics: Can be presented by CPST Instructors or experienced CPSTs.
•LATCH Basics Through Photos (Refresher)
•LATCH Today (Advanced)
Two versions of each: Short: 60 minutes (1 CEU); Long: 90 minutes (1.5 CEUs).
Safe Ride News–Archive (1981-2010) on CD
Own a piece of history and a vital resource! What was happening in child passenger safety in 1981,1986, 1990? See how far we have come. This archive of Safe Ride News chronicles the routes taken, bridges crossed, main roads breezed along, and back roads with (the many) potholes along the way. The archive collection of is an invaluable resource for research and teaching.
On this Archive CD:
• Read This First: Introduction, search options
• Contents of SRN Archive (all editions and indexes)
• Indexes (starting with 2000)
• Archive 1981–2010, Safe Ride News, organized by year
Note: Some publications are available at group or bulk rates.
To inquire about more information and customized pricing, click here.
Order Safe Ride News Publications' products using the Catalog (PDF).